The Laundry Battle


I’ve talked about my laundry routine before (here), and if you read through the posts, you’ll notice that my routine has changed over the years. I’ve gone from doing specific loads of laundry during certain days of the week, to doing laundry as needed, and now I do smaller loads nearly every day.

In conclusion: there is no right answer. You have to do what works best for you and your home.

I prefer doing smaller loads of laundry nearly everyday because I find it helps keep us tidier. It makes me feel like I am doing less work and it goes by faster than if I waited for it to build up.

Here’s the thing: Laundry will never be a “finished” chore. It’s not like you can thoroughly wash all the clothes and be done with it forever. The best thing to do is to experiment what works best for you. If doing a large load of clothes helps keep it off the floor, or piled up somewhere, waiting for you to put it away, then go for it.

Except, if you have tips on washing whites, please pass them along to me!  :-)


The 2 Minute Rule

I think I first heard about the two minute rule in Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity. The basic gist is, if you can accomplish whatever task/project/thing you need to get done in less than 2 minutes, you should do it immediately.


It’s surprising how much stuff you can actually get done if you follow this rule.

You can do things like:

  • Make your bed
  • Fold/Put away laundry
  • Empty the dishwasher
  • Walk along the hallway with a duster
  • Pick up those pillows scattered around the couch
  • Put the cereal back in the pantry
  • Put the toys back in their bin
  • Wipe down the counter
  • Put junk paper into the recycling
  • Hang up clothes
  • Clean a mirror
  • Pay a bill

And I could probably keep going with the list, but it’s been helpful in keeping our house tidy.

What can you accomplish in two minutes?


Clean as You Go

Have you noticed when you clean up smaller messes they seem to take less time than if you save it all up for later?

I’m really good about cleaning up the kitchen as I prepare meals. Like, if I finish chopping vegetables, I’ll put the vegetables in the pan on the stove, and then turn around and wash the cutting board and knife as the vegetables are cooking. By the time the meal is cooked, I have the miscellaneous pots, pans, and bowls drying in or around the sink. As soon as I’m done eating, everything is mostly dry and ready to be put away. I like that type of upkeep because it requires less effort on my part. I’m able to use the extra time to hang out with my family sooner instead of being stuck in the kitchen once again to clean up!


I usually do this in our glass shower doors. I tried a couple of other methods to cleaning our shower doors, but I realized that it’s just easier to squeegee right as I head out of the shower and it’s less to clean up. Plus, it just looks slightly better on a daily basis rather than devoting too much time to let the water drops build up and dry on the glass and then try to deal with it all over again.

I don’t think you have to apply the clean as you go philosophy in every single thing you do, but it can be helpful if you have areas where stuff keeps building up or you recognize you are devoting too much time on something.

One of the “tricks” I have found for our floors is to have a Roomba. (I’ve talked more about it here.) While we still have to vacuum and mop, the time we do it is significantly less because the Robot does most of the maintaining for us. (Unless our kids push the button to turn it off, but that’s another issue!)

There is one spot I’m notorious for not “cleaning as I go” and that’s if I’m working on a craft project. It gets crazy, but I welcome chaos once in a while too!  😉


Use Screen Time Wisely

I love surfing on the web on my phone, on the computer, or on the tablet. There I said it.


But I still manage to get things done because I save my screen time during select times of the day.

I save them on Sunday mornings, because that’s when my husband gets up with the kids (he sleeps in on Saturdays, and I sleep in on Sundays). I’m on the computer if the kids are either napping in the afternoon or asleep in the evenings. Sometimes I’m on it if the kids are hanging out or playing with daddy, but I generally try to make an effort to be present.

It’s amazing how much more you can accomplish if you’re not clicking away on your phone! Ha! I turned off email and Facebook notifications on my phone, and that’s made a difference too.

Recently we’ve let our kids start having a bit more screen time, especially once Nagini went past the 2 year old mark (which is the recommended age by the AAP). We usually have them watch something for about 20-30 minutes for 3, sometimes 4 days a week. I use their screen time to cook and get dinner on the table when Brian gets home.

I try not to rely too much on screens, for myself or for the kids, because I know it’s a slippery slope and hard to stop once you start! I had to really evaluate my habits at the beginning of the year.

Even when I’m watching a show or a movie with my husband in the evenings, I try to have something else to occupy my time, like a craft project (cross-stitch) so that I’m not completely passive and will have wasted the time.

Yes, I am totally looking at a screen right before bed and I know they say it wrecks your sleep, but I haven’t found that to be true, especially with a 2 and a 4 year old! I’m completely tired when it’s time for bed!  :-)