I think I first heard about the two minute rule in Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity. The basic gist is, if you can accomplish whatever task/project/thing you need to get done in less than 2 minutes, you should do it immediately.
It’s surprising how much stuff you can actually get done if you follow this rule.
You can do things like:
- Make your bed
- Fold/Put away laundry
- Empty the dishwasher
- Walk along the hallway with a duster
- Pick up those pillows scattered around the couch
- Put the cereal back in the pantry
- Put the toys back in their bin
- Wipe down the counter
- Put junk paper into the recycling
- Hang up clothes
- Clean a mirror
- Pay a bill
And I could probably keep going with the list, but it’s been helpful in keeping our house tidy.
What can you accomplish in two minutes?