Around here, we do our best to get our children involved in the chores around the house. (I agree with this article. All of it.)
Obviously I am not expecting perfection from them. I want them to do their best and try to help as much as possible. Especially since they’re the ones making most of the messes. Ha!
With a 2 year old and a 4 year old, I treat it like a game. We ask our kids to help around the house with:
- “folding” or sorting laundry
- putting clothes in or out of the dryer
- emptying the dishwasher (they hand it to us or put it on the counter)
- getting napkins and utensils for dinner
- dusting baseboards or whatever catches their fancy
- choosing what artwork they want to display in their playroom
- wiping up messes they make (accidental spills, drips, etc.)
- picking up their toys
I think it’s beneficial and important that our kids learn to pick up after themselves. For one thing, it will teach them independence, but also because it’s less work for me in the long run!