Yesterday I shared the first part of our master bedroom closet story.
After we came home with all those boxes, the first thing we did was empty out the closet. Our kids thought it was a new adventure because stuff was everywhere for them to step on, open, and explore.
Next, we did a little demo work and took off the rails and the boards attached to the wall:
Taking it down went pretty quickly, but it was dealing with all the nails that took forever. We saved most of the boards into the attic. But, in order to do that, we pulled out the nails one by one. Some of the stuff we didn’t save we hammered the nails flat so they wouldn’t injure us, the kids, or the garbage men.
The nicest thing about this part was once we got the frames built (thanks to Brian), we didn’t have too much drywall to repair. Let me backtrack a bit. We bought a couple of the Pax corner units from Ikea to go along the whole back wall. Well, after building the corners, we realized that the depth wasn’t right.
We basically lost a day of work once we realized it and headed to Ikea to return the units. Once we returned it, Brian went to have a conversation with the closet planner. It turned out the corner units were the correct size, but we needed to pull them off the wall to make it line up for the depth we wanted. But in doing that, we would lose more than 2 feet of space. (I think 38 inches.)
Cue lots of unsaid and simmering feelings. As we ate dinner there, we brainstormed and decided to skip the whole back wall. Instead we purchased a couple more of the larger frames to line both sides of the wall. This would still give us plenty of storage space and we wouldn’t lose all that space. (I know, saying that is un-relateable at the size of this “closet”. But if we’re going to have that much room, might as well take advantage of it)
Once everything was built, we took yet another trip back to Ikea to buy the shelves, and all the extra stuff. Unfortunately, it was seriously wishful thinking this would be the last trip to Ikea for this project:
Here is where we are today. This is the left side of the room:
This is the right side of the room:
Things you don’t see:
-two more frames
-finished drawers and shelving
I wish I could say I am not a horrible, petty person, but this project made me a horrible, petty person. I cried. I sobbed. I lost my temper. This feels like the project won’t end. Because we have to take another trip to Ikea this week to return an incorrect drawer and buy a couple more drawers.
I want to face punch myself for melting down over such trivial stuff because I know once we are finished, everything will have a place and be in order and that’s why we started it in the first place.
Our family life has temporarily suffered from this project. Our weekends and evenings have been spent working on this and our kids keep asking why it’s taking such a long time and why it’s so messy. On the plus side, they like going to Ikea and helping us. I think it’s because we bribe them with the free ice cream at the end. 🙂